Sunday 2 October 2011

Bangkok's House of Rock

Before I came to Thailand I did some research on places to go, things to see, and beyond the usual information handed out to English teachers and sex tourists alike, there wasn't much information to go on.

I only managed to find information on two places of note that might suit me...

The first, is Bangkok's House of Rock.

This is an excerpt from their website:

The Rock Pub has been around for 23 years now and is about to celebrate its 24th anniversary this March.
It has been known for the reputation of the great music it provides for rockers from all over the world
For over 2 decades, more than 40 rock bands had stepped on the Rock Pub's stage and performed. Over dozens of those bacame famous in Thailand's music industry, one of the reason they all had agreed for their success is the experiences they gained from playing here night in and night out.
Great artists from all over the world also played at the Rock Pub.
NAPALM DEATH, SODOM, DRAGON FORCE, DORO, EXODUS, MR.GARY BOWDEN, and KING LYCHEE (Hong Kong) are just some of the great bands that put on powerful performances here, at the Rock Pub.

I took the BTS from Phaya Thai station to Ratchathewi, lugging my oversized bag along. I didn't even bother with a hotel, I just wanted to see the nightlife of Bangkok, and see it I did...

This is the sight that greets you as you step off the BTS.
At the entrance I was greeted by the friendly wait-staff, who beckoned me inside.
I entered, threw down my bag, ordered a beer and put my feet up as the band came on stage.

Band: Mundee (on another night)
There are good bands, and there are bad bands - but one thing that has always surprised me is how GOOD most of the Thai cover bands are. Whether it's Greenday and Muse, or Guns & Roses and Led Zeppelin, these guys can do it all, which is even more impressive when you realize that most of these guys... can't speak a word of English.

Once I was comfortable, I started looking around. The bar has an elegant atmosphere, with sleek surfaces contrasted by rough stone. It immediately reminded me of another rock bar back home, the Eye of Horus. Nostalgia aside, it's a beautiful venue.


There isn't much space for dancing, with booths along the right hand side and tables in the center, although a few headbangers might have enough space if they maintain awareness of their surroundings. To the left is a long bar area, serving everything from beer to cocktails.


Next to the bar is a glass cube that airport smokers may have grown accustomed to. Yup, this is a non smoking venue. As it turns out, I don't really mind, as the box provides a bit of isolation from the sound of the band if you're in the mood to strike up a conversation. The sound is clean, crisp, and most of all - LOUD.

Adorning the walls of the pub is a collection of posters, photos, and rock & roll memorabilia.

Another point worth mentioning, is that the Rock Pub's kitchen serves food ranging from steak and hamburgers to curries and Pad Thai (a dish of stir-fried rice noodles with eggs, fish sauce, tamarind juice, red chilli pepper, plus any combination of bean sprouts, shrimp, chicken or tofu.)

 If you're not that hungry, grab a bowl of popcorn and watch the bands...

It's a busy night at the Rock Pub.
My rating: 8/10
Bring a group of friends and watch the bands, they are amazing.
Check the website for schedules and times.

No comments:

Post a Comment